Team Sanya MCM Frankie Leonard blogs from Hamble, England ahead of a landmark weekend for the crew and the boat.
On Saturday morning we are due to put the rig in, then Sanya Lan will be reacquainted with the ocean when she gets wet that evening.
"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you’ve imagined." Henry David Thoreau
It has been an intensely busy week for Team Sanya and with lots done and more to do it is full steam ahead for all involved.
This Friday Sanya Lan* will see daylight for the first time in about four weeks. She has been transformed from a rather tired, needing-some-attention boat to a gleaming, colourful new racing machine. A huge amount of credit has to go to all the shore team who have put in a massive effort. The sailing team for their part have been hitting the gym at 0630 every morning and working on all the technical aspects of getting this yacht racing.
On Saturday morning we are due to put the rig in, then Sanya Lan will be reacquainted with the ocean when she gets wet that evening. The official announcement of the sailing team will be this Saturday also, so watch out for some interesting selections. On Sunday we will be filming a section of our part for the new Volvo 3D film, followed by our first day of sailing.
We are all really looking forward to our first adventures in Sanya Lan and our first outing in the Rolex Fastnet Race on 14 August.
Stay tuned for updates…
* The official name of the boat is Sanya, but sailing superstition demands that a renamed boat should include part of the old name. Thus, the old Telefónica Blue carries the nickname Sanya Lan, with ´Lan´ meaning ´Blue´ in Chinese. See this story for skipper Mike Sanderson´s thoughts on keeping the sea gods happy.
- 2 Feb 2012Good morning, Vietnam!
- 1 Feb 2012Mason recalls near sinking as Tiger anticipates homecoming
- 6 Sep 2011Sanya: Beauty and the beers
- 16 Aug 2011Azzam takes record-breaking Fastnet win
- 14 Aug 2011A tear in the eye, chicken korma on the table
- 12 Aug 2011Three rivals prepare for head-to-head battle