Main Content

Team Telefónica felt the full force of the Southern Ocean earlier today when they were slammed by two monster waves in over 40 knots of wind on their way to Cape Horn on Leg 5.

Both incidents were captured by Telefónica Media Crew Member (MCM) Diego Fructuoso on one of the boat’s four fixed video cameras.

The amazing footage shot from the stern camera shows the entire on-deck crew -- including the helmsman -- twice knocked off their feet by the force of the up- to-10-metre waves.

Seconds before the first wave hits, helmsman Jordi Calafat can be seen urgently trying to steer the boat away from the impact before a wall of water slams into the boat engulfing the cockpit and leaving Calafat swinging in mid-air as the boat lurches out of control.

Later, when the second wave hits, Pablo Arrarte is thrown off the wheel and ends up steering on his knees as his shocked crewmates struggle back to their feet.

Remarkably, despite being thrown to the deck by the force of the waves, on both occasions the sailors regained their composure almost instantaneously to get the boat back under control in a matter of seconds.


  • ¡Bravo! ¡Increíble! ¡Adelante, Telefónica!

  • Awesome and scary all at once! Suddenly I quite enjoy my front porch again! Peaceful. Better you than me. Well done!!

  • Mille bravo aux courageux marins. Je vous admire et vous me faites rêver.

  • Fantastic guys, how you managed to keep control of the boat and fantastic ship rid itself of the masses of water so quickly!

  • After the second wave hits a guy comes on deck with no harness on. Hard to go back and pick some one up in that weather. Crazy comes to mind.

  • 1 / 3

Leave a comment

Incorrect please try again
Enter the words above: Enter the numbers you here:

Secondary Content

Diego Fructuoso/Team Telefonica/Volvo Ocean Race

Team Telefonica crew fully suited up as the Southern Ocean sea washes over the deck, during leg 5 of the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12, from Auckland, New Zealand to Itajai, Brazil.