Just one hour separated Leg 6 leaders PUMA from second placed CAMPER as they rounded the Eleuthera Island waypoint at the top of the Bahamas at 0210 and 0310 UTC respectively today.
As the leading pair turned left towards the U.S. mainland and prepared to cross the northerly flowing Gulf Stream current on the way to the finish in Miami, behind them Team Telefónica and Groupama sailing team continued to wage war with each other for third place.
By 0500 UTC PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG had taken advantage of fresher breeze to establish a lead of 16 nm over CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand as they powered towards the Great Stirrup Light waypoint at an average speed of almost 17 knots.
Meanwhile, in the match race for the final podium place, Groupama had edged into a 12 nm lead after Telefónica had previously closed to within two nm.
By 0600 UTC PUMA´s advantage over CAMPER was up to 17 nm and Groupama led Telefónica by 14 nm on the approach to Eleuthera.
Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing remained fifth, 154 nm off the lead.
The winners of Leg 6 are expected to cross the finish line around 1700 UTC.
Race fans can follow the action now via the ‘Live’ Tracker on volvooceanrace.com Just click the RACE DATA tab, select tracker and then press the ‘Live’ button on the left of the menu bar. Positions are updated every 60 seconds.
- 5 May 2012Long leg piles pressure on shore crews
- 5 May 2012All bets off in final 1,000 miles
- 5 May 2012Abu Dhabi eye comeback, Groupama seek 'magic gust'
- 5 May 2012Status quo returns after CAMPER 'thread the needle' off Anguilla
- 4 May 2012Intuition comes into play in east versus west split
- 4 May 2012Weather trough splits leading pack as CAMPER go west