The raw power of the North Atlantic storm the fleet encountered on the way from Lisbon to Lorient on Leg 8 produced some of the fastest sailing and most incredible footage since the teams took on the southern ocean on Leg 5.
Safely in Lorient, even the sailors themselves struggled to articulate fully what it was like to career down winds at breakneck speeds up to 40 knots -- often in the dark.
To fully understand what the crews went through to get to Lorient, you really had to be there.
Fortunately for the rest of us, the teams’ Media Crew Members (MCMs) were willing to brave the fearsome conditions and beam back some incredible on-deck footage.
We hope you enjoy this short compilation of the fastest, wettest most extreme rides on the planet.
- 14 Jun 2012Daring manoeuvre holds key to glory in Leg 8 climax
- 14 Jun 2012Sleepwalking to victory
- 14 Jun 2012At a glance: June 14, 2012
- 13 Jun 2012Bowman Brad saves day as jammed sail costs Groupama vital places
- 13 Jun 2012Caution key for chasers Sanya
- 13 Jun 2012Teams buckle up ahead of 'wild ride' to Lorient