Franck Cammas’ hometown heroes Groupama sailing team were crowned Leg 8 winners at a public prize giving ceremony in the Lorient Race Village today.
Cammas and his crew took to the main stage, this afternoon, cheered on by an enthusiastic local crowd.
"It was a very difficult leg so it was fantastic to arrive in our home port in first place." Cammas said. "The welcome we received from the home crowds made it all the more special."
Groupama were presented with their Leg 8 winners trophy by Norbert Metairie, mayor of Lorient.
Peter Mertens, Senior Vice President of Product Development, Volvo Car Corporation presented Chris Nicholson’s CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zealand crew with the second place prize.
Ken Read’s PUMA Ocean Racing powered by BERG crew also went on stage to receive third prize, presented by Jean-Noël Thénault, Managing Director of Volvo Truck France.
Earlier today all six teams took part in a practice race ahead of the Bretagne In-Port Race on Saturday. CAMPER came out on top, with Groupama second, Abu Dhabi third, PUMA fourth, and Sanya fifth. Telefónica did not finish the race.
Groupama’s Leg 8 victory saw them extend their advantage at the top of the leaderboard to 23 point over PUMA with just the Bretagne In-Port Race, Leg 9 and Galway In-Port Race left to go.
Five points behind, CAMPER are tied on points with Iker Martínez´s Team Telefónica.
- 29 Jun 2012Skippers speak in Lorient ahead of Bretagne In-Port Race
- 9 Jun 2012Dock Talk: Oeiras In-Port Race
- 20 May 2012Top four compressed ahead of transatlantic leg start
- 11 Jan 2012Leg 2 trophies awarded at Destination Village
- 24 Dec 2011Nicholson's three wise men shepherd CAMPER into the lead
- 4 Nov 2011Volvo Ocean Race fleet heads for first night ordeal