Team Sanya couldn't quite grab the podium place they so longed for in the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12 but their spirit and resolve could not be doubted, as this video recap shows.
Within hours of the start of Leg 1, Sanya suffered the sort of misfortune that might easily have ended their race there and then. Their shore crew performed heroics, however, and somehow they were back on the start line again by the in-port race in Cape Town.
Mike Sanderson's team were in the headlines again on Leg 2 as they broke from the fleet to threaten a sensational victory only for bad luck to hit them once again with a rigging failure that saw them forced to divert to Madagascar.
The pattern continued but there were highlights too and Sanderson's team led the fleet out of Auckland, walked away from the race as overall winners of the DHL Shore Crew Award and had the satisfaction of seeing Dave Swete take the honours as Rookie of the Race.
Click play, and relive the race from Sanya's perspective.
- 10 Jul 2012Sanya's shoreside heroics win them DHL honour
- 19 Dec 2011We're down but not out, says Sanderson
- 19 Dec 2011Fleet closes up as Sanya detour for repairs
- 18 Dec 2011Team Sanya heading for eye of the storm
- 16 Dec 2011Sanya still waiting for moment to pounce
- 15 Dec 2011Sanya fight back into contention