For Team Telefónica skipper Iker Martinez and his Spanish crew, the Volvo Ocean Race of 2011-12 will forever be remembered as the one that got away after they looked so dominant for so long.
After disappointing on home Alicante waters in the Iberdrola In-Port Race, the first point-scoring opportunity of the Race, Martinez and his men barely put a rudder wrong for the next three months.
Despite fierce competition from their rivals and some incredibly testing conditions, Telefónica raced home first for the opening three legs to open up a big early advantage.
Slowly but surely that lead was whittled away and Martinez’s campaign ultimately finished in relative disappointment in fourth place overall.
He and his men, however, have the consolation of some incredible winning moments to savour and memories of those three legs when they appeared invincible.
Click and play to relive the highlights from Telefónica’s race.
- 21 Jun 2012Telefónica aim to finish on a high
- 13 Apr 2012The big debate - skippers comment on Leg 5 attrition
- 6 Apr 2012Dockside with PUMA and Telefónica
- 6 Apr 2012PUMA clinch epic victory as Telefónica fall just short
- 23 Feb 2012PUMA make the turn east
- 14 Nov 2011Read and Martínez slug it out at the front