Franck Cammas, fresh from leading Groupama to victory in the Volvo Ocean Race at the first attempt, will swap sails for pedal power next week when he rides a stage of the Haute Route Alps.
Cammas has a competitive streak a mile wide and shortly before the Volvo Ocean Race 2011-12 he led a Groupama team up the fearsome Alpe d'Huez on the Tour de France route.
He will have another crack at Alpe d’Huez on Tuesday when he rides Stage 3 of the week-long event, riding 138 km and climbing 4,700 m on the way from Courchevel.
“I love road biking in the mountains, and the Haute Route has all the ingredients,” said Cammas. "Unfortunately I cannot do the whole event, but even doing this one long stage will be a big mental and physical challenge.
"I got back into cycling two years ago, but having only finished the Volvo Ocean Race last month, I haven’t got much power in my legs for the big climbs. I have tried to fit in some training, in Bretagne and I’m now in Corsica, which is superb.”
- 13 Apr 2012The big debate - skippers comment on Leg 5 attrition
- 10 Apr 2012Groupama still in the hunt, says Cammas
- 10 Apr 2012Heroic Groupama close out third place
- 8 Apr 2012Cammas builds the legend with push for podium
- 4 Apr 2012Volvo Ocean Race CEO expresses concern at breakages
- 29 Mar 2012Temporary weather window opens for leading pair