Two rigs done, five more underway: Southern Spars is on schedule to deliver the first Volvo Ocean 65 rigs next month. The New Zealand rig specialist will supply all the masts, booms and rigging for the 2014-15 and 2017-18 races.
Masts 1 and 2 are in the final fit out stage and the first two booms and spreaders have been completed. They will soon be shipped to Green Marine in the UK, where the first hull and deck arrived recently for assembly.
High modulus rigs 3, 4 and 5 are at the internal fit out and painting stage while the 6th and 7th rigs are being laminated.
In this video, Volvo Ocean Race veteran Rob Salthouse is checking out progress at the Southern Spars factory in Auckland and gives us an expert insight into the One Design rig build.
Find here the first construction update, the second update, the third, the fourth, the fifth, the sixth and the seventh.
Stay tuned for more updates on www.volvooceanrace.com and find more snapshots of the boat built on our Instagram page : http://instagram.com/volvooceanrace.
- 5 Mar 2014How much faster can they go?
- 26 Sep 2013The first Volvo Ocean 65 journey – day by day
- 8 Feb 2013Elite assembly line production for the new rigging
- 24 Dec 2012Southern Spars bring 'speed, reliability, pride' to Volvo Ocean 65
- 15 Mar 2012Safety first as Abu Dhabi lift rig
- 10 Mar 2012Bow damage calls Groupama shore team to action