Auckland weekend schedule

Previous
Cyclone coming
Next
Introducing Louis
Auckland weekend schedule
 
Due to the possibility of a developing supercyclone, there have been some changes to this weekend's schedule...

LAST UPDATED: SATURDAY MARCH 14 AT 10:00 NZ TIME

Click here for the full story

Our weather team currently predicts a possibility for severe weather with strong and gusty winds and heavy rainfall from Sunday afternoon to Monday midday.

SATURDAY

Forecasts suggest that today will be perfect sailing conditions - 20kts of easterly breeze and warm sunshine. This is the day to come down to the Race Village and experience the Volvo Ocean Race for yourself! The New Zealand Herald In-Port Race Auckland begins at 14:00 and is a tie-breaker for the overall trophy. Currently, it is splitting first and second Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing and Dongfeng Race Team, and fourth and fifth, Team Alvimedica and MAPFRE. 

09:00 - Race Village opens

12:20 - Start of dockside sailor's parade and cultural performances

14:00 - Start of the New Zealand Herald In-Port Race Auckland

If you can't make it out on the water for the Race, you can watch all the action on the big screens in our Race Village!

15:00 - Finish and return to Race Village


16:00 - In-port race prize giving (approx timing)

17:00 - Live entertainment
Including Peiter T, DJ Christiaan Ercolano and the Black Seeds at 20:30.

SUNDAY

The planned Leg 5 departure for Sunday March 15 has been delayed to Tuesday March 17 at the earliest. 

There will be no sailing on Sunday and the Race Village will be closed.

MONDAY

Current forecasts suggest that Monday could be the worst affected day weather-wise. As a result, there are no plans for any events at this stage. The Race Village will be closed.

TUESDAY

The decision has been made that the boats will not leave Auckland until Tuesday March 17 at the earliest. The ambition is to leave in the afternoon. We will inform of an exact and updated time in due course - a final decision will be made no later than 18:00 local time on Sunday.

“This weather is very rare for the race, and for New Zealand. We will not start the leg until Tuesday and will probably look at an afternoon start or in the evening. That’s our current plan,” said Race CEO Knut Frostad on Friday.

As we are dealing with a severe and extreme weather scenario the race organiser reserves the right to change the timing of any sailing, racing or event at any time if that should be required.