Visit the race
There’s no better way to follow the race than to get up close and personal at the race villages. Get amongst the action of the world’s toughest sailing race and check out 10 amazing countries as the Volvo Ocean Race fleet sails into 10 host ports around the world in 2011-12.
The race began in Alicante, Spain on October 29 and will visit Cape Town, Abu Dhabi, Sanya, Auckland, Itajaí, Miami, Lisbon, Lorient and finish in Galway, Ireland in July 2012.
Finish Host Port - Galway
Final stop: Galway, Ireland from July 3 to July 9. For the second time the vibrant city will host the Volvo Ocean Race, having offered an unforgettable experience to almost 420,000 visitors in 2008-09. How will Galway top that? You can get an idea by visiting Galway official host port website while our Galway page has information on travel and what to do.
Galway Race Village will be open from June 30 - July 8, 2012
The Race Village is located at:
See the location here.
Galway Race Weekend
- Friday July 6, 1200 local (1100 UTC) Pro-Am Race
- Saturday July 7, 1300 local (1200 UTC) Discover Ireland In-Port Race
- Saturday June 30 - Race Village officially opens
- Saturday June 30 - Accessible Sailing for people with disabilities
- Monday July 2 - 7 Environmental Art Workshops with Skeleton Sea
- Tuesday July 3-8 - Academy Try Sailing
- Tuesday July 3-4 - Academy Team Racing Clinic
- Thursday July 5 - Leg 9 Prize Giving
- Friday July 6 - Pro-Am Race
- Saturday July 7 - Discover Ireland In-Port Race
For more information on Galway Events visit: Galway Festival Proramme
Also see the Arena programme and the Events Guide.