UPDATED: MONDAY MARCH 16 AT 21:30 NZ TIME (08:30 UTC)
Following latest information on the weather situation and the development of Cyclone Pam, Race organisers have announced that Leg 5 will now start on Wednesday, 18 March at 09:00 NZDT (Tuesday 17 March, 20:00 UTC).
Further information here.
- Batten down the hatches
Current forecasts suggest that Monday could be the worst affected day weather-wise. As a result, there are no plans for any events at this stage. The Race Village will is closed.
Leg 5 will now start on Wednesday, 18 March at 09:00 NZDT (Tuesday 17 March, 20:00 UTC).
“This weather is very rare for the race, and for New Zealand," said Race CEO Knut Frostad on Friday.
As we are dealing with a severe and extreme weather scenario the race organiser reserves the right to change the timing of any sailing, racing or event at any time if that should be required.