Scope and purpose
This policy is applicable to the Processing of your Personal Data at Volvo Ocean Race S.L.U and affiliates (“Volvo Ocean Race” or “we”). The purpose of this policy is to provide our current, former and potential customers (jointly referred to as “customers” or “you”) with a general understanding of:
The circumstances under which we collect and process your Personal Data
- •The types of Personal Data we collect
- •The reasons for collecting your Personal Data
- •How we handle your Personal Data
- •Contact details for requests for rectification of Personal Data or subject access requests.
This policy is updated continuously to reflect the measures taken by Volvo Ocean Race in relation to your Personal Data.
We collect data to operate effectively and provide you the best experiences with our products. You provide some of this data directly, such as when you create an account or contact us for support. We get some of it by recording how you interact with our products by, for example, using technologies like cookies – this may collect data about your use of our Web pages and/or apps, your device(s) and your location
We will collect and process the following data about you (the “Data”):
- Data you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes Data you provide when you register, subscribe to any service, enter a competition, promotion or survey and when you report a problem. The Data you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address, company name, date of birth, nationality, phone number and preferences.
- Data we collect about you. We may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, screen resolution details, browser type and version, time zone setting, mobile and network information, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system, platform and information about your geographic location; and information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our Web pages and/or apps (including date and time); pages you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
We may use your information in a number of ways, including to provide the Web pages and/or apps, to personalise and improve the services we offer, to carry out our obligations, communicate with you, to analyse use of our Web pages and/or apps and in other ways that you agree to.
We may share your information with our group companies, law enforcement agencies, service providers, partners, people who operate of take over our Web pages and/or apps and third parties that you agree that we can share it with.
We may use your Data:
- to communicate with you (including by post, phone, email and/or mobile messaging), such as to let you know about new features, offerings (including goods and services) on our Web pages and/or apps where you have consented for us to do so;
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to create an individual profile for you so that we can understand and respect your preferences;
- for record keeping purposes;
- to administer and provide services you request;
- to carry out market research so that we can improve the products and service we offer;
- to improve the quality of our service and security of our Web pages and/or apps;
- to understand your preferences so that we can improve the products and services we offer;
- in connection with targeting/advertising activities;
- to track activity on the Site and our Web pages and/or apps;
- in conjunction with personal data legally obtained from third party sources;
- in such way as you may otherwise expressly consent to;
- to comply with legal and regulatory requirements; and/or
- for any other purpose that we may notify to you from time to time.
Disclosures to third parties
You agree that we will share your Information amongst:
- Volvo Ocean Race departments;
- carefully selected third party organisations to carry out certain processing activities on our behalf where such parties have the necessary protections in place to comply with applicable data protection law;
- other Volvo Companies (including Volvo Group AB and Volvo Cars);
- any Volvo Ocean Race partner in a manner to which you have expressly consented to (this includes consent by way of opting-in to certain marketing and contact from any of them as part of the registration process) and you agree that such parties can contact you in accordance with such consent;
- anyone who may take over the running of our Web pages and/or apps, or any Volvo Company or subcontractors who operate a part of our Web pages and/or apps on our behalf. Any other organisations who access your information in the course of providing services on our behalf will be governed by strict contractual restrictions to make sure that they protect your Data and comply with applicable data protection and privacy laws. We may also independently audit these service providers to make sure that they meet our standards; and/or
- any law enforcement agency requesting it once we are reasonably satisfied as to the circumstances surrounding the request.
- In connection with the sale or transfer of a Volvo Ocean Race entity or its assets;
- As required by law: for example, in connection with a government inquiry, dispute, or other legal process or request;
- When we, in good faith, believe that disclosure is necessary in order to protect our rights: for example, in order to investigate potential violations of our terms and conditions, or to detect, prevent or disclose fraud or other security issues;
We will disclose your Data to third parties:
- to protect our rights, property, or safety, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging Data with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction;
- to comply with applicable laws and lawful government requests; and/or
- to operate our systems properly or to protect our users and ourselves.
Freedom of choice
Your Personal Data belongs to you. We strive not to make any assumptions regarding your privacy preferences and aim to design our services so that you can choose whether or not to share your Personal Data with us.
Balance of interests
Where the Processing of your Personal Data is necessary for the pursuit of a legitimate interest, and where this interest outweighs the need to protect your privacy, we may process certain Personal Data without obtaining your express consent if so permitted by law. In certain other situations, we may also process your Personal Data without your consent if so required in accordance with applicable law. For more information, see the “Consent” section below. Where your Personal Data is processed for the public interest, we base that on the potential benefits to (including the safety of) our customers and the general public.
Volvo Ocean Race will only process its customers’ Personal Data if it is adequate, relevant and necessary in relation to the purpose for which it has been gathered.
Where reasonably practical or as required by applicable law, we will obtain your consent prior to collecting or using your Personal Data. The request for your consent will be clear and specific and will provide you with a reasonable basis with which to make your decision. We will never take your consent for granted. Instead, we will make sure that you can actively consent in a clear and transparent manner. Your consent is voluntary and can always be revoked, for example by terminating a particular service or contacting Volvo Ocean Race at the address indicated in the “Information and Access” section below. If you do not give your consent, it may not be possible to use services or parts of services.
You may access applications and links to other sites not operated by or on behalf of the Volvo Ocean Race but provided by a Third Party, which may, for example, require transmission of location data and other Recorded Data to this Third Party. Volvo Ocean Race is not responsible for the collection or use of Personal Data in applications or services provided by a Third Party, and recommends that you carefully review applicable terms for (and any integrity policy related to) such applications or services before you use them. If you have questions concerning a certain Third-Party use of your Personal Data, please contact the Third Party directly.
Volvo Ocean Race may transfer your Personal Data to recipients in countries outside of the European Economic Area which may have differing data protection laws. This includes countries which the EU Commission does not consider to have an adequate level of protection for personal data. If this occurs Volvo Ocean Race will ensure there is are legal grounds for the transfer in accordance with applicable data protection legislation. You will also be informed about the legal grounds, what safeguards were implemented, and where you can obtain a copy of these safeguards.
Volvo Ocean Race has taken technical and organizational measures in order to protect your Personal Data against accidental or unlawful destruction, accidental loss or alteration, unauthorized disclosure
or access and any other unlawful forms of Processing.
A Volvo Ocean Race entity being the Data Controller of your Personal Data will, as a general rule, only disclose your Personal Data to a Third Party if it has received your consent to do so. However, if permitted by law, we may share your Personal Data without your consent, unless we consider your consent necessary in the individual case or your consent is required by law, in the following situations:
Data processing on our behalf
We restrict access to your Personal Data to Volvo Ocean Race employees and providers who need to use the information in order to process it on our behalf, and who are contractually required to keep your Personal Data secure and confidential. We aim to choose the option for Data Processing services that best safeguards the integrity of your Personal Data toward any Third Party. Some of these Processing activities might be per-formed outside of the EEA under a specific legal basis as required by national law.
In places where the Volvo Ocean Race site asks for login information (such as games), cookies may store your login name and password on your hard drive to eliminate the need for you to enter this information every time it is required.
What happens if you disable your cookies?
There may be features in our site which are not accessible without cookies. However, if you want to disable your cookies you can do so in two ways: you can ask your browser to inform you every time a cookie is set and then decide whether to accept it or not, or you can set your browser to automatically deny cookies.
If you ask your browser to inform you of "cookie set" requests and you say "NO" to the cookies, you will get a pop up window for every hit. If you set your browser to automatically deny cookies then you will not see these pop up windows.
We may use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server, and to administer our website. Your IP address may also be used to gather broad demographic information.
As a sporting event, images can be captured within our Race Village premises and/or any other of our events. If you visit our Race Village and/or any other of our events there is a chance that your image may be captured and stored the event’s Image Material. Volvo Ocean Race or its stakeholders may use the Image Material for communication and marketing purposes, in both printed and digital formats, including publication on Volvo Ocean Race’s website or in other digital channels.
If you do not wish your image to be used please contact us through the options stated in the “Contact Us” section below.
Careers and Submission of your CV
In order to administrate your user profile and/or application (including supporting documents), we need to process personal data about you. Volvo Ocean Race respects the integrity of the individual and processes your personal data in a secure way and in compliance with applicable data protection laws. For more information please review our Recruitment Privacy Policies.
Volvo Ocean Race, S.L.U
Muelle nº 10 de Levante
Puerto de Alicante
03001 Alicante - Spain
Or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org